The pathway to signing Ante Rebic is opening up for Manchester United, according to separate reports on Friday.
The aggressive Croatia forward apparently made an impact on Jose Mourinho, who was at the World Cup working for Russia TV.
And this week Italian outlet Tuttosport claimed that United have launched a bid of €50m (£44m) to tempt Eintracht Frankfurt to sell the left-sided forward.
Frankfurt sporting director Fredi Bobic said on July 11 they were yet to field an offer for the Croatia forward, but admitted they would struggle to hold on to him if a big-money offer arrived at their table.
In addition to that Frankfurt are now believed to have identified a potential replacement for Rebic.
German outlet Bild report the German club are interested in Sporting Lisbon star Francisco Geraldes and ready to offer £4.5m for the 23-year-old.
Potentially he would join countryman Goncalo Paciencia following his move to Frankfurt earlier this summer.
Arsenal and Bayern Munich have also been linked with 24-year-old Rebic, who are now managed by former Frankfurt boss Niko Kovac.
However, Bayern Munich’s alleged pursuit has been called into question by Bild.
They claim the news that his agent Fali Ramadani was travelling to Germany to negotiate a transfer was fabricated to drive up the Croatian’s value.
It all points to good news for Mourinho, although earlier this week in the US the UNited boss claimed he was in the dark over new signings.
“I’ve no idea,” he said.
“I’m not going to lie to you, I’m not going to say somebody is coming or nobody is coming.
United have signed Lee Grant, Fred and Diogo Dalot so far and have until August 9 when the window shuts to add to their squad.